Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 5 (725/12)

Breakfast - 3:40 AM
  • no-bread BLT(A)s:
    • 7 pieces of turkey bacon (5 carbs)
    • lettuce (2 carbs) 
    • tomato, one small (6 carbs)
    • mayo (1 carb)
  • last of the leftover onion eggs (3 carbs)
  • ginger tea (17 carbs) - OOPS, thought it was just like tea!
  • water
pre-dinner glucose check - 101!!

Dinner - 9 PM

  • 1/2 an avocado with salt and lemon (3)
  • pea salad
    • 3/4 cup peas (15)
    • 1 green onion (0)
    • 1 egg yolk (1)
    • 1 spoonful mayonnaise (1)
  • 1 piece of strong soft cheese (0)
    • on a cracker (3)
  • double portion of tabouleh - cucumbers, tomato, parsley, olive oil, salt, lemon juice (8)
  • 1/2 cup of cantaloupe melon (10)

Total carbohydrates for the day: 34 breakfast + 41 dinner = 75 *yikes*

Thoughts:  One of the ideals in Islam is to stop eating while you still feel hungry, so as i was eating dinner and tried to do that.  It slowed me down a bit, but i definitely could have stopped, in terms of having already eaten enough at one point but my brain/cravings still said to keep eating.  Near the end, i got out a rice krispy treat that my aunt had made with peanut butter (topped with chocolate), intending to eat it.  I got it out of the cookie jar - and put it in front of me.  I smelled it deeply.  I smelled it again.  I almost started to cry (granted i was watching a particularly teary episode of Glee at the time).  Then I put it back.

It has now been over a week since I have had chocolate, milkshakes, cookies, donuts, cupcakes, candy or cake.  The cravings are getting weaker and only in moments like those above is it a problem.  Walking by the candy jar at work is not an issue - it is the baked goods that call to me (like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting) or a nice, cold, rich, real-ice-cream milkshake.  The problem with most items I crave: they never taste quite as great as they seem like they will. Maybe the cravings are better than actually eating them (the wanting is better than the getting). 

No comments:

Post a Comment